I was preparing last minute for a local art show and ready to monoprint several backgrounds for cards. I have all my quotes printed and focal images ready...the time consuming part or so I thought.
I even made a pocket to protect the back/inside of the cards from stray paint. I folded a piece of cardstock and taped both sides with washi tape to create the pocket.
I had the camera ready to record and my plate out. I was ready to go...or so I thought. I couldn't get more than one pull off my 8x10 plate because the paints were drying way to fast. These are paints I use repeatedly without any issues, even the Golden Opens were not staying wet enough. I tried cleaning my plate, but no luck. I stopped recording out of total frustration. Eventually, I switched to my 3x5 and round plates which worked like normal but the size was limited.
After the weekend and art show were over, I began to investigate the problem. I discovered a break in the clamp shell packaging. On the Gelli Arts® manufacturer's website FAQ, I saw a recommendation to clean with mineral oil or baby oil. I immediately got busy putting a layer of oil across the top and letting it sit. I repeated this about 3 times on top and once on the bottom. I let it sit for an hour then rinsed with just water, lightly dried with paper towels and placed back in the repaired case (I put duck tape on outside and inside to keep it air tight again)
It worked! Here are the most recent prints I pulled.